EAST QUOGUE FIRE DISTRICT
REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING
FEBRUARY 4, 2021
The Regular Monthly Meeting of the Board of Fire Commissioners of the East Quogue Fire District was called to order by Chairman Allyn Jackson at 7:30 p.m. Present were Commissioners Allyn Jackson, Michael Mattera, James Schaefer and Stephen Gregory, Chief Ted Jankowski, Second Assistant Chief Keith Phillips, Secretary Lorraine Gregory and Treasurer Colleen Pearsall.
FIRE DISTRICT FACILITIES SUPERVISOR REPORT
See attached report.
ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION
See attached report.
EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES
1. A motion was made by Commissioner Jackson, seconded by Commissioner Mattera, authorizing the purchase of the medical supplies requested, at a total cost of $2,066.44 (BoundTree Medical - $41.49, Stryker - $1,900.00, True Value of Westhampton - $124.95). Approved 4-0.
Work Order Report dated 1/1/21 to 2/4/21 was submitted to the Board.
See attached report.
1. For the time being, Commissioner Jackson ordered one I-Pad.
2. A motion was made by Commissioner Jackson, seconded by Commissioner Gregory, authorizing the purchase of thirty (30) custom engraved 1-1/2” x 3” Heavy Duty Plastic ID Tags from On Scene Tags, at a total cost of $195.00. Approved 4-0.
4. A motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Mattera, authorizing the purchase of fifty (50) Gaiter #4 Navy Blue Fleece Face Masks with Department Logo from ccTaylor Inc., at a total cost of $461.16. Approved 4-0.
5. A motion was made by Commissioner Jackson, seconded by Commissioner Gregory, authorizing the purchase of a Spanner Wrench w/Holder, Brackets for fittings and Strapping for 7-6-1 and 7-6-8 from Firematic Supply, at a total cost of $354.85. Approved 4-0.
6. Treasurer has paid the bill.
8. A motion was made by Commissioner Jackson, seconded by Commissioner Mattera, authorizing the purchase of thirty-one (31) ID Sleeves for the Scott Paks from F.D. Company Identifiers, at an approximate cost of $1,100.00. Approved 4-0.
ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION
1. The Treasurer has been in contact with the grant writer and will follow through with her on the project.
3. According to Mr. Glass, Mr. Schaffauer, a volunteer firefighter in another Department, can be utilized as an ambulance driver while on duty as an employee for the District. He would be covered by VFBL. Mr. Schaffauer is willing to drive the ambulance. The Board is agreeable. Commissioner Jackson feels that, if Mr. Schaffauer drives when it is an emergency, there is no issue but, he would not want Department members relying solely on Mr. Schaffauer.
Mr. Glass not in attendance.
A motion was made by Commissioner Mattera, seconded by Commissioner Jackson, accepting the Minutes of the January 7, 2021 Organizational Meeting and the January 7, 2021 Regular Monthly Meeting. Approved 4-0.
Mrs. Pearsall advised the Board that BNB is now Dime Bank and that she will be contacting the bank regarding interest and service charges.
Mrs. Pearsall also advised the Board that Jones & Little will begin the audit on February 16, 2021.
A motion was made by Commissioner Jackson, seconded by Commissioner Schaefer, approving the Treasurer’s Report as submitted. Approved 4-0.
ABSTRACT OF BILLS
A motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Schaefer, approving the Abstract of Bills for the General Fund consisting of 30 checks totaling $114,031.09 and to authorize the transfer of $150,000.00 from the Money Market to the Checking Account. Approved 4-0.
COMMUNICATIONS AND CORRESPONDENCE
A letter was received from the Department regarding the probationary membership of Edward Crooke and Christopher Smith in the Department and the resignation of Dennis Chuppe from the Department and the Renewal Contracts from Waterway for the pump and hose testings.
Commissioner Mattera advised the Board that the “Hero” sign has been re-installed on the east side of Montauk Highway/Sunset Avenue.
Commissioner Schaefer advised the Board that the physical appointments are all done.
After a brief discussion regarding the present Procurement Policy No. DA-012, the Board decided to revise the policy as follows:
2021-17. The Board of Fire Commissioners of the East Quogue Fire District hereby resolve to revise the Procurement Policy No. DA-012 as follows:
Page 2, Section C should now read as follows:
Estimated Amount of Purchase Contract
$100 - $999 Verbal – Board Decision
$1,000 - $4,999 Two Written Quotes
$5,000 - $19,999 Three Written/Fax Quotes or Written Requests for Proposals
$20,000 Public Bid
Estimated Amount of Public Works Contract
$1 - $4,999 One Written Quote
$5,000 - $19,999 Two Written Quotes
$20,000 - $34,999 Three Written/Fax Quotes or Written Requests for Proposals
$35,000 Public Bid
E. The title of “Firehouse House Attendant” shall be changed to “Fire District Facilities Supervisor”.
The attachment listing “Verbal Quotes”, “Exemptions” and “Documentation” shall be deleted.
Commissioner Mattera raised the motion to approve, Commissioner Gregory seconded the motion, and upon roll call the vote of the Board was as follows:
Commissioner Allyn Jackson Aye
Commissioner James Schaffer Aye
Commissioner Stephen Gregory Aye
Commissioner Michael Mattera Aye
Commissioner Robert Holley Absent
The resolution was thereupon declared duly adopted.
Dated: February 4, 2021
Commissioner Jackson advised the Board that he had spoken with the Real Estate Agent regarding the Lewis Road/Old County Road property and advised him that the District is definitely interested in purchasing the property. Commissioner Jackson also advised the Board that there is the possibility of the Community Preservation Committee being interested in partnering with the District. The Committee would require a letter from the District stating its intention and purpose for purchasing the property. Commissioner Jackson will continue to follow up.
A motion was made by Commissioner Mattera, seconded by Commissioner Schaefer, authorizing Mr. Glass to prepare a tentative agreement for the purchase of the property. Approved 4-0.
Commissioner Gregory will contact Sand Pebble regarding the project.
Chief Jankowski stated that the Department would be very much interested in the project. It has many positive benefits.
Commissioner Schaefer advised the Board that he has hired a new EMT.
A motion as made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Schaefer, authorizing the purchase of six (6) Key Mailboxes (to be mounted in the Truck Room) from Amazon, at a cost of $33.00 each. Approved 4-0.
Commissioner Jackson would like to have the Department Seal made up and mounted above the mailboxes.
Commissioner Schaefer asked the Chief to follow up with Thomas Peyton regarding his military status.
Commissioner Jackson reminded the Board and the Chiefs that the Board will be holding a building and apparatus inspection on March 7, 2021, at 9:00 a.m.
A motion was made by Commissioner Schaefer, seconded by Commissioner Gregory, accepting the probationary membership in the Department of Edward Crooke and Christopher Smith and the resignation of Dennis Chuppe from the active rolls and to remain a Life Member of the Department as an Ex-Chief.
A motion was made by Commissioner Schaefer, seconded by Commissioner Gregory, accepting the proposal from Waterway for the annual hose testing in the amount of $3,073.80, apparatus flow testing, including nozzles and appliances, in the amount of $1,610.00 and NFPA reports in the amount of $900.00. Approved 4-0.
The Board decided not to attend the upcoming AFDSNY meeting.
A workshop was scheduled for Thursday, February 26, at 7:00 p.m.
At 8:50 p.m., there being no further business, a motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Schaefer, to adjourn the meeting. Approved 4-0.
Lorraine Gregory, Secretary