EAST QUOGUE FIRE DISTRICT
REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING
JUNE 3, 2021
The Regular Monthly Meeting of the Board of Fire Commissioners of the East Quogue Fire District was called to order by Chairman Allyn Jackson at 7:30 p.m. Present were Commissioners Allyn Jackson, James Schaefer, Michael Mattera and Stephen Gregory, First Assistant Chief Paul Sulzinski, Second Assistant Chief Keith Phillips, Treasurer Colleen Pearsall and Secretary Lorraine Gregory.
FIRE DISTRICT FACILITIES SUPERVISOR REPORT
See attached report.
Changes were made to the Firematic Purchase Order for the Bailout System. A harness was needed for a very small person and one for a very large person. Ten (10) were needed instead of nine (9). The price is less due to the removal of training.
ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION
See attached report.
2. A motion was made by Commissioner Schaefer, seconded by Commissioner Gregory, granting permission for Mr. Patel to remove Sean McArdle from the On Call First Responder Roster due to the fact that he has not signed up for any shifts since November 2020 and to request that he return all of the District’s property issued to him. Approved 4-0.
EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES
1. A motion was made by Commissioner Schaefer, seconded by Commissioner Gregory, authorizing the purchase of the medical supplies requested, at a total cost of $367.71 (BoundTree Medical - $228.31, Stryker - $139.40). Approved 4-0.
Work Order Report dated 4/1/21 to 6/3/21 was submitted to the Board.
Meter for 7-6-7 tabled.
See attached report.
1. Mr. Schaffauer has one in inventory.
2. Mr. Schaffauer will purchase.
6. A motion was made by Commissioner Mattera, seconded by Commissioner Schaefer, authorizing the purchase of 100’ of ½” CMC New England KM III Rope ($143.00), one (1) CMC Rope Bag – Orange Model #2 ($85.00), one (1) CMC PMP Pulley 2.6 ($198.00) and three (3) CMC Rescue ProSeries XL Auto Lock Carabiners ($68.99 each), at a total cost of $632.97. Approved 4-0.
8.-9. A motion was made by Commissioner Mattera, seconded by Commissioner Schaefer, authorizing the purchase from Westhampton True Value of one (1) M18 Fuel Blower Kit ($299.99) and one (1) M18 2pk 5AH Lithium Battery ($229.00), at a total cost of $528.99. Approved 5-0.
10.-11. A motion was made by Commissioner Jackson, seconded by Commissioner Gregory, authorizing the purchase of one (1) folding table for use by the Fire Police, at a cost of $44.99 and strapping for 7-6-1, at a cost of $132.18. Approved 4-0.
12. Mr. Schaffauer will handle.
ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION
3. a.) A motion was made by Commissioner Schaefer, seconded by Commissioner Gregory, to consider the purchase of a new ambulance by the end of this year or early next year and that one or two Commissioners and Mr. Patel be included on the Committee. Approved 4-0.
3. b.) No discussion.
3. c.) Tabled.
A motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Schaefer, granting permission for the following to be held on District property:
1. East Quogue Elementary School First Grade Class Main Firehouse visit on June 18, 2021.
2. Southampton Town Police use of the Meeting Room on June 23, 2021 from 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. for a graduation (16 graduates and 2 parents each). (Note: A Facility Usage Agreement is required. Second Assistant Chief Keith Phillips will handle.)
3. New York Blood Center Blood Drive in the Steel Building on June 28, 2021.
4. Hampton Point Annual Meeting to be held in the Meeting Room from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on July 31, 2021.
Commissioner Gregory requested the Chiefs to have the members clean out the shed at Station 2 and to review the gear on hand from the Juniors Program. If the gear is no longer needed, it should be disposed of or donated.
First Assistant Chief Paul Sulzinski advised the Board that the Department is planning to have a Seafood Party this year and the permit process is being taken care of.
Mr. Glass not in attendance.
A motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Mattera, accepting the Minutes of the May 6, 2021Regular Monthly Meeting. Approved 4-0.
Mrs. Pearsall advised the Board of the following:
1. The Jones & Little Draft Financial Statement is available for their review. Mrs. Gregory will contact Appraisal Affiliates regarding the Maintenance Service Report.
2. Theatre Spirits, Inc. (Suffolk Theater) refunded the $4,000.00 Inspection Dinner deposit.
3. McNeil & Co., Inc. refunded $5,643.00 for the removal of the 2012 Chevrolet Tahoe and the 2004 GMC from the insurance policy.
A motion was made by Commissioner Schaefer, seconded by Commissioner Mattera, approving the Treasurer’s Report as submitted. Approved 4-0.
ABSTRACT OF BILLS
A motion was made by Commissioner Schaefer, seconded by Commissioner Mattera, approving the Abstract of Bills for the General Fund consisting of 31 checks totaling $29,644.37 and to authorize the transfer of $70,000.00 from the Money Market to the Checking Account. Approved 4-0.
COMMUNICATIONS AND CORRESPONDENCE
Requests to use District property taken care of under “Chiefs Report”.
Re-installing the “Heroes” sign at Jones Road was tabled.
Commissioner Gregory presented the following proposals for the painting and installation of new flooring in the Meeting Room:
Taurus Custom Painting – Prep and paint walls $3,750.00
A motion was made by Commissioner Jackson, seconded by Commissioner Mattera, accepting the proposal from Taurus Custom Painting for the preparation and painting of the walls in the second floor Meeting Room, in the amount of $3,750.00. Approved 4-0. (Note: Commissioner Gregory will verbally notify Taurus.)
Rosanti Floor Covering – Main Meeting Room $16,550.00
Stair Treads and Platform $ 4,385.00
We’ll Floor U – Main Meeting Room $17,686.52
Stair Treads and Platform $ 3,350.00
A motion was made by Commissioner Mattera, seconded by Commissioner Schaefer, accepting the proposal from We’ll Floor U for the installation of new flooring in the second floor Meeting Room, the Stair Treads and the Platform, in the total amount of $21,035.52. Approved 4-0. (Note: Commissioner Gregory will verbally notify We’ll Floor U and the Secretary will forward a letter to Rosanti Floor Covering.)
The Board agreed that Mark Gregory and Alex Gladding should be the liasons between the District and Command Fire Apparatus regarding the purchase of the 75’ Aerial Platform Tower Ladder.
Commissioner Gregory advised the Board that the City of Albany, New York, is interested in 7-6-11 and will be coming here next week to inspect the vehicle.
After a brief discussion regarding the sign and monument project, a resolution was drawn up and states as follows:
2021-22. BE IT RESOLVED, pursuant to the provisions of the General Municipal Law and the Town Law of the State of New York, that a sum not to exceed $90,000.00 be expended from the Buildings & Grounds Reserve Fund of said Fire District for the purchase of one (1) Outdoor Electronic Sign, Landscaping and Lighting to be installed at the Main Firehouse located at 465 Montauk Highway, East Quogue, New York and be it
FURTHER RESOLVED, that this resolution is adopted subject to a permissive referendum as provided in the General Municipal Law of the State of New York, and be it
FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Secretary of the Fire District shall, within ten working days of the adoption of this resolution, publish a notice within the official newspaper of the Fire District setting forth the date of the adoption of the resolution and an abstract of the resolution concisely stating the purpose and effect thereof and that the resolution was adopted subject to a permissive referendum.
Dated: June 3, 2021
A motion was made by Commissioner Schaefer, seconded by Commissioner Mattera accepting the adoption of Resolution 2021-22. Approved 4-0.
Commissioner Jackson advised the Board that the size of the sign will be smaller and one-sided and expects the cost to be approximately $32,000.00. Commissioner Jackson stated that he hoped most of the monument work would be done by September 11, 2021. Commissioner Gregory suggested holding a memorial service in the evening to accommodate the First Responders who will be attending earlier services in the City.
Commissioner Schaefer requested that the Chiefs replace the flags on the rear of the trucks and to use a smaller size so as not to interfere with the rear lights.
Commissioner Jackson advised the Board that the bathroom in the Firemen’s Room needs to be updated and marked “unisex”. The partition will be taken out and a lock installed on the door.
Commissioner Jackson also advised the Board that he had spoken with Ed Seltenreich and he is agreeable in filling in for Bob Holley until the end of 2021 and running for election in December to complete the remaining four years of Bob’s term.
A motion was made by Commissioner Jackson, seconded by Commissioner Schaefer, appointing Ed Seltenreich as Commissioner to complete the remaining 2021 months of Robert E. Holley’s term. Approved 4-0. (Note: Mr. Seltenreich will have the option to run for election in December to complete the remaining four years of Mr. Holley’s term.)
A Special Meeting and workshop was scheduled for June 24, 2021 at 7:00 p.m. Bids for the Monument Project will be opened.
Mrs. Pearsall advised the Board that she will not be attending the July Meeting.
At 8:47 p.m., there being no further business, a motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Schaefer, to adjourn the meeting. Approved 4-0.
Lorraine Gregory, Secretary