EAST QUOGUE FIRE DISTRICT
REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING
SEPTEMBER 7, 2023
The Regular Monthly Meeting of the Board of Fire Commissioners of the East Quogue Fire District was called to order by Chairman James Schaefer at 7:30 p.m. Present were Commissioners James Schaefer, Allyn Jackson, Stephen Gregory and Robert Despres, Fire District Facilities Supervisor Dave Schaffauer, Chief Paul Sulzinski, Third Assistant Chief Mark Gregory, Treasurer Colleen Pearsall and Secretary Lorraine Gregory.
FIRE DISTRICT FACILITIES SUPERVISOR REPORT
See attached report.
A motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Schaefer, authorizing the detailing of all the District’s vehicles, at a cost not to exceed $5,000.00. Approved 4-0.
A motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Despres, authorizing the purchase of three (3) 1-3/4” hose lengths, at a cost of $150.00 each. Approved 4-0.
ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION
MEDICAL COORDINATOR REPORT
Mr. Danowski not in attendance. Mr. Schaffauer presented the material requests and advised the Board that the ambulances are scheduled for servicing by Amsar.
A motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Despres, approving the purchase of the medical supplies requested, at a total cost of $394.76 (Hammer Medical - $329.87, McKesson - $64.89). Approved 4-0.
Mr. Schaffauer advised the Board that the County Inspector found a few minor issues with the ambulances and that they have been addressed.
Maintenance Report dated 8/1/2023 to 8/31/2023 submitted to the Board.
See attached report.
1. A motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Jackson, authorizing the purchase of four (4) Mustang Rescue Sticks for each one of the Chief’s vehicles, at a cost of $250.00 each. Approved 4-0.
2. A motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Despres, accepting the proposal from Fully Involved to supply mountings ($4,931.00) and install the mountings ($3.675.00) on the new 7-6-7, at a total cost of $8,606.00. Approved 4-0.
3. A motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Despres, authorizing the purchase of a Battery Powered Fan from Firematic Supply, at a cost of $1,895.00. Approved 4-0.
4. A motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Despres, authorizing the purchase of two (2) nozzles and one (1) booster 1-1/5” for 7-6-7, at a cost not to exceed $1,000.00. Approved 4-0.
5. A motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Despres, authorizing the purchase of a Suitcase Ladder rated up to 400 lbs. for 7-6-7, at an approximate cost of $250.00. Approved 4-0.
STATUS OF PREVIOUSLY APPROVED REQUESTS
ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION
1. A motion was made by Commissioner Schaefer, seconded by Commissioner Jackson, approving the Department’s request to use the Apparatus Floor for an Open House and the Parking Lot for the Holiday on Main Street, December 3, 2023. Approved 4-0.
2. A motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Jackson, authorizing the purchase of two (2) Scott Paks to be used on 7-6-7, from State bid, at a cost of $12,000.00. Approved 4-0.
3. All of the turnout gear has been cleaned and, if only one or two sets need to be cleaned, they will be sent to the Hampton Bays Fire Department. If larger quantities need to be done, the cleaning truck will be called in.
4. The Chief advised the Board that Marlene Woldenberg is on medical leave.
5. Presented by Mr. Schaffauer under the Medical Report.
6. A motion was made by Commissioner Schaefer, seconded by Commissioner Gregory, authorizing Keith Phillips and Brian Frank to attend the 2023 EMS Expo Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, September 18-22, 2023, at an approximate cost of $3,000.00. Approved 4-0.
The Chief advised the Board that the Fire Marshal will be handling the inspection of the flag lot driveways in the District.
Mr. Glass not in attendance.
A motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Despres, accepting the Minutes of the August 3, 2023 Regular Monthly Meeting. Approved 4-0.
ABSTRACT OF BILLS
A motion was made by Commissioner Despres, seconded by Commissioner Gregory, approving the Treasurer’s Report as submitted and the Abstract of Bills for the General Fund consisting of 29 checks totaling $54,261.28 and to authorize the transfer of $150,000.00 from the Money Market to the Checking Account. Approved 4-0.
COMMUNICATIONS AND CORRESPONDENCE
A letter was received from the Department regarding the probationary membership of Luke Rampen in the Department.
Commissioner Gregory advised the Board that the Hampton Bays Fire District recommended the elevator service company that they use and that he will ask Mr. Schaffauer to contact them regarding repairing the elevator in the Steel Building. He also advised the Board that the equipment that is no longer needed will be picked up on Saturday.
Commissioner Jackson advised the Board that he will be picking up the Certificate of Origin for the old 7-6-7 directly from the manufacturer.
Commissioner Jackson brought up for discussion the construction of a new firehouse and reported on his conversations with Sand Pebble and David Fox. After a brief discussion, a resolution was drawn up and states as follows:
2023-28. BE IT RESOLVED, pursuant to the provisions of the General Municipal Law and the Town Law of the State of New York, that a sum not to exceed $50,000.00 be expended from the Capital Reserve Building Fund of said Fire District for expenses to be incurred in connection with the possible future construction of a new firehouse, and be it
FURTHER RESOLVED, that this resolution is adopted subject to a permissive referendum as provided in the General Municipal Law of the State of New York, and be it
FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Secretary of the Fire District shall, within ten working days of the adoption of this resolution, publish a notice within the official newspaper of the Fire District setting forth the date of the adoption of the resolution and an abstract of the resolution concisely stating the purpose and effect thereof and that the resolution was adopted subject to a permissive referendum.
The adoption of the foregoing resolution was duly put to a vote and upon roll call the vote was as follows:
Chairman James Schaefer - Aye
Vice-Chairman Allyn Jackson - Aye
Commissioner Stephen Gregory - Aye
Commissioner Robert Despres - Aye
The resolution was thereupon duly declared to have been adopted.
Dated: September 7, 2023
East Quogue, New York
The Board decided that the April 26, 2025 Inspection Dinner will be at the Hyatt Hotel in Riverhead and will not include a cocktail hour at the Aquarium.
The 2024 budget will be discussed further at the upcoming workshop.
A motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Jackson, accepting the probationary membership of Luke Rampen in the Department. Approved 4-0.
A Workshop was scheduled for September 28, 2023, at 7:00 p.m.
At 9:15 p.m., there being no further business, a motion was made by Commissioner Schaefer, seconded by Commissioner Despres, to adjourn the meeting. Approved 4-0.
Lorraine Gregory, Secretary
East Quogue Fire District’s House Attendant Report
To the Board of Fire Commissioners,
This is the attendant’s report for September 2023, meeting including but not limited to:
Topics for discussion:
Chiefs report to District September 2023
Reasoning: Each Chief vehicle has an issued throw bag for retrieval of a victim, but we don’t have a floatation device to deploy to the victim. The Rescue Stick can easily be stored and deployed. The Rescue Stick is reusable by way of a repack/re-arm kit. Approximate cost per unit $250.00.
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.