EAST QUOGUE FIRE DISTRICT
REGULAR MONTHLY MEETING
OCTOBER 5, 2023
The Regular Monthly Meeting of the Board of Fire Commissioners of the East Quogue Fire District was called to order by Chairman James Schaefer at 7:30 p.m. Present were Commissioners James Schaefer, Allyn Jackson, Stephen Gregory and Robert Despres, Fire District Facilities Supervisor Dave Schaffauer, Third Assistant Chief Mark Gregory, Treasurer Colleen Pearsall and Secretary Lorraine Gregory.
FIRE DISTRICT FACILITIES SUPERVISOR REPORT
See attached report.
ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION
Commissioner Schaefer stated that the procedure for repair requests is that they should be given to Mr. Schaffauer for his handling.
MEDICAL COORDINATOR REPORT
Mr. Danowski not in attendance. Mr. Schaffauer presented the material requests.
A motion was made by Commissioner Despres, seconded by Commissioner Jackson, approving the purchase of the medical supplies requested, at a total cost of $840.38 (Hammer Medical - $494.09, Bound Tree Medical - $86.29, Amazon - $260.00). Approved 4-0.
Maintenance Report dated 9/1/2023 to 9/30/2023 submitted to the Board.
Commissioner Jackson suggested that 7-6-3 be tuned-up and reported that the tire tubes are bad.
See attached report.
1. A motion was made by Commissioner Despres, seconded by Commissioner Gregory, authorizing the purchase of one (1) Small Flammable Liquids Storage Locker for Station 2, at a cost not to exceed $400.00. Approved 4-0.
4. A motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Despres, granting permission for the Chiefs to cut a 50 foot length of 3” hose be in half to accommodate their needs. Approved 4-0.
5. Discussed under the Maintenance Report.
6. A motion was made by Commissioner Despres, seconded by Commissioner Gregory, accepting the proposal from Fully Involved for the installation of an Elkhart Brass Scorpion “Big Stick” Monitor on 7-6-11, at a total cost of $4,475.00 (Parts - $3,875.00, Labor - $600.00). Approved 4-0. (Note: A price quote from Firematic Supply (copy attached) was for $12,700.00.)
STATUS OF PREVIOUSLY APPROVED REQUESTS
1.-2. Mr. Schaffauer is handling.
ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION
1. The Board stated that clearing the brush around the fire hydrants within the Districts is the responsibility of the Department. Assistant Chief Gregory commented on the fact that the hydrant stenciling done by SCWA on the roads will not be visible when covered with snow. He suggested that the stenciling be done in the middle of the road, since the middle of the road gets plowed first and that a more efficient way of marking hydrant locations would be for SCWA to install marker flags on the hydrants. (Note: The Secretary will forward a letter to SCWA with these requests.)
2. A motion was made by Commissioner Jackson, seconded by Commissioner Gregory, granting permission for the District fire vehicles to be taken to the Flanders Parade. Approved 4-0.
3. A motion was made by Commissioner Jackson, seconded by Commissioner Gregory, granting permission for vehicles to be taken to Yaphank for FF-1 Training and Taxpayer Drills. Approved 4-0.
Mr. Glass not in attendance.
A motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Jackson, accepting the Minutes of the September 7, 2023 Regular Monthly Meeting. Approved 4-0.
ABSTRACT OF BILLS
A motion was made by Commissioner Despres, seconded by Commissioner Gregory, approving the Treasurer’s Report as submitted and the Abstract of Bills for the General Fund consisting of 22 checks totaling $26,431.43 and to authorize the transfer of $150,000.00 from the Money Market to the Checking Account. Approved 4-0.
COMMUNICATIONS AND CORRESPONDENCE
A letter was received from the Department regarding the probationary membership of Emmanuel Clarke in the Department and an e-mail from William Glass, Esq. attaching the newly mandated New York State Sexual Harassment Policy which the District is required to adopt.
The Board agreed to submit an insurance claim to Hometown for the repair of 7-6-16’s rear bumper.
Commissioner Jackson advised the Board that he is still waiting for proposals for the survey work that needs to be done with regard to the possible expansion of the building.
Commissioner Gregory advised the Board that he had been contacted by the Westhampton Fire Department regarding East Quogue’s participation in a Veterans’ Day Remembrance to be held on November 10, 2023 at the Westhampton Performing Arts Center and will follow up with further information.
A motion was made by Commissioner Gregory, seconded by Commissioner Despres, accepting the probationary membership of Emmanuel Clarke in the Department. Approved 4-0.
With regard to the newly mandated New York State Sexual Harassment Policy, a resolution was drawn up and states as follows:
2023-29. East Quogue Fire District Sexual Harassment Policy and Complaint Form For Reporting Sexual Harassment, Policy No. DA-030, Adopted January 3, 2019, Revised October 5, 2023 attached hereto.
The adoption of the foregoing resolution was duly put to a vote and upon roll call the vote was as follows:
Chairman James Schaefer - Aye
Vice-Chairman Allyn Jackson - Aye
Commissioner Stephen Gregory - Aye
Commissioner Robert Despres - Aye
The resolution was thereupon duly declared to have been adopted.
Dated: October 5, 2023
East Quogue, New York
Commissioner Gregory advised the Board that he will be running for re-election in December.
2023-30. Whereas, Section 175-a of the Town Law, as amended, provides for a system of registration of Fire District elections; and
Whereas, a register of eligible Fire District voters must be prepared prior to the Fire District election: and
Now therefore, be it resolved that three resident election inspectors of the East Quogue Fire District be appointed to constitute the East Quogue Fire District Board of Elections for the 2023 Annual Fire District Election;
And be it further resolved, that in case any of the members appointed therein are unable to assume or perform the duties required of them, the Board of Fire Commissioners will appoint three alternates who are resident electors ;
And be it further resolved, that the Chairman, Election Inspector and Poll Clerk be compensated in the amount of $70.00 for their services and attendance at the annual election which shall take place during the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.;
And be it further resolved, that if clerical help is deemed necessary, this Board of Fire Commissioners will consider the appointment of such clerical persons upon the request of the Chairman of the Fire District Board of Elections.
A motion was made by Commissioner Despres, seconded by Commissioner Jackson, accepting the adoption of Resolution 2023-30. Approved 4-0.
No Workshop scheduled in October.
At 8:45 p.m., there being no further business, a motion was made by Commissioner Despres, seconded by Commissioner Gregory, to adjourn the meeting. Approved 4-0.
Lorraine Gregory, Secretary
East Quogue Fire District’s House Attendant Report
To the Board of Fire Commissioners,
This is the attendant’s report for October 2023, meeting including but not limited to:
Topics for discussion:
Quotes for heating system in the back building
Quotes for Chiefs car
October 2023 Chiefs report to the District.
Reason: The only storage area for such liquids at St.2 is in the boiler room having a locker will keep liquids in a fire safe container.
Reason: Halyard on the ladder was broke needs to be repaired.
Reason: 800 Megahertz radios are being implemented in Suffolk County and are part of interoperability with mutual aid Departments. These standards are part of the WTC Investigation and debriefing findings and recommendations. As of now, we as a department have no way of communicating with all the Departments, we have mutual aid agreements with. 800 radios are the new gold standard and are being put into service County wide.
Reason: 2- 25 ft. lengths are needed as storage for supply hose 0n 12 is tight and the area we were storing the hose is no longer available.
Reason: Tires are losing air, and the engine is riding rough, possibly running rich.
Status of previous requests:
FF-1 training, taxpayer drill.
East Quogue Fire Department
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.